At Mekanix Calisthenics Gym we create well-rounded fitness experiences through our premiere coaching, programming, and tight-knit community. We are Texas’s only gym focused on calisthenics, a time-tested form of body weight training that provides superior strength, mobility and flexibility training. Calisthenics provides a powerful pathway to exploring your body’s physical (and mental) capabilities and a lifetime of physical fitness.
Please continue reading to learn more about:
Promoting growth and mastery through body movement.
Our Core Objectives
- Provide high quality instruction. It seems almost anybody feels qualified to provide exercise, nutrition, and wellness guidance these days. We are committed to providing high quality instruction and education, grounded in education, science, and experience, both through our own personal journeys and the journeys of the athletes we coach.
- Deliver and promote excellence. Are working out to hang out, or do you have a goal in mind? We promise you’ll have a great time, but our first emphasis is on promoting excellence across the board: in our instructors, in our training, in our community, and most importantly … IN YOU!
- Establish and grow healthy lifestyles. We want to inspire you to take your same commitment to fitness inside the gym, outside the gym. At Mekanix we help our athletes establish and grow healthy lifestyles.
- Fuel your ambition. Having a great physique and maintaining optimal health is an amazing achievement in life. It’s also a great springboard for sitting down and deciding exactly what you would like to achieve in your life, in terms of career, business, goals, creative projects and building a fulfilling lifestyle in general. You’ll be feeling so good on our programs that you may be surprised how creative you feel and just how much energy you have to spur those long held goals and dreams into action.
- Foster and grow a vibrant community. Community is a staple in our fitness philosophy at Mekanix. We strives to develop a community of like-minded individuals who support, encourage, motivate, and assist one another in reaching their personal goals. In fact, the communal aspect of Mekanix is a key component of how we produce such exceptional results for our athletes. Our members enjoy community events such as lunches, speakers, Saturday socials, and much more!
- Excellence We expect excellence from ourselves and we want you to pursue and achieve excellence as well.
- Passion We are passionate about we do. We hope you are, too.
- Challenge Growth Mekanix challenges growth: physically, mentally, and emotionally.
- Community We value community: our instructors, our athletes, our family, our friends, our supporters, our neighbors.
- Discipline Every one of us has the opportunity to achieve greatness through disciplined progression towards a goal. The magical thing about discipline is that flexing that muscle in one area of your life helps in all areas of life.
- Self-awareness We believe in understanding who you are and what you can achieve, not just physically but mentally and emotionally as well.
Our Story – From our Owner
Lessons learned from a life in fitness
My name is Justin Singer and I started Mekanix Calisthenics Gym because of a passion for fitness and a desire to fill a significant gap in the Houston market. I’ve spent a lifetime in fitness and my experience has been broad: rock climbing, running, weight lifting, CrossFit, swimming, soccer, yoga, and more. As I got older, and felt my body deteriorating from countless hours behind a desk and a few too many close calls doing heavy Olympic weight lifting, I started looking into other ways to challenge myself and stay fit. My journey led me to body weight exercise and, in particular, calisthenics. Calisthenics captivated me for many reasons: it allowed me to get stronger than I ever had before, it was safer, it made my body more mobile, it was fun, and it was a way of exploring my body’s capabilities that I knew I could continue for a lifetime.
Options to practice in Houston were limited, though. I found various meet-ups and lone instructors but they offered sporadic and inconsistent guidance. There were online courses and training videos from great instructors, but it was hard practicing alone and even harder not having instructors or peers in the same room as me to ask questions of and get pointers from. I found a few gyms that specialized in other types of training and had some bolt on instruction here and there, but it was clearly an afterthought and not a place for consistent training of the highest caliber.
I decided to create a place that would not only fill my needs but also serve as a hub for the Houston community. Thus, Mekanix was born.
Learn more about our team here.
What We Offer
Learn more about what we offer here.